Monday, February 27, 2012

Comfort


The last week shook my cage. As I reported here, I recently lost a friend very quickly and tragically to a fast moving cancer that shocked our community. I am still hearing from friends and blog readers who have reacted very strongly to his death not only because of the incredible loss such a great man was to his community, friends and loved ones, but also because of the sheer shock of the rapidity of the events. He simply was here with a lower back complaint and then gone to a terminal and totally destructive cancer. In 11 days.

While it almost feels like I don't want to continue to write my blog about something so seemingly trivial as my weight loss and fitness issues, at the core of these issues is my deep desire to live my life with as much passion and health as humanly possible. It literally is a fight for life--and while it's not dramatic on a day to day basis, it is at the core of my personal needs and desires. I basically spend each day focused on improving my health and my ability to live a long and productive life.

After some contemplation, I realize the best I can do to honor the memory of my friend is to live my life with as much intention and commitment as possible. So that is what I have endeavored to do this week. I knew on the day that I heard of his death that I needed to do something to ensure this news wouldn't turn into a down hill spiral for me--in essence, a food bender. When enormous loss strikes any life people react. Often the chink in one's armor is the place that falls apart first. Emotions, especially strong and sad emotions, often translate to the need for physical comfort of some kind--sometimes that of possibly negative and damaging behavior. In my effort to live without damaging myself I knew I needed a more comforting way to eat--at least for a time.

The way I have been eating for the last couple of years has been incredibly challenging. I have maintained a very low calorie diet using whey shakes as meal replacements to increase protein and eating "lean and green" the rest of the time. This works extremely well for weight loss but in my case I had become almost continually hungry. Unless I was hungry it wasn't working. It's hard to be hungry all the time. It simply hurts.

So last week I revisited Atkins.

In the long ago day my mother tried Atkins and loved it. She was the ultimate carnivore and this program allows for all the protein you could possibly want. Once called "The Drinking Man's Diet" the original literature about the program enticed potential dieters with promises of sizzling steaks, salads slathered in blue cheese and hard liquor. (As I write this, this actually sounds pretty good to me.) The new Atkins adds more non-starchy vegetables, low carb fruits, increases the use of good fats and limits calories--although only slightly compared to what I have been doing.

It works like this: If you keep your carbs under 20 grams a day and eat under 1700 calories for women and about 2000 for men, you will lose weight and you will not be hungry. This is heaven for those who can stick to it, but even a tiny stray in a carb--like nondairy creamer in your coffee or a donut will throw all your hard work to hell in a hand basket.

But for me, right now, this is what I need. It's allowed me to lose the pound I have been gaining and losing for a month as well as four more in a week. It has allowed me to feel optimistic and in control during what has been a very sad and emotional week. It's allowed me to choose something to consciously control and regulate what I was doing--which is vital for anyone who sees food as a way to deal with emotions. In short, it works--but only if you do it.

This week I have lived my life with personal commitment by honoring my goals. I feel very successful in the wake of some extremely tragic circumstances. I write this with the strong belief that my friend Kirk and anyone who cares for me would want me to live as well as I can with purpose--every day. While I might not be slaying dragons, I am fighting my own battle daily. This week I am winning.

I wish you confidence and personal power and a feeling of knowing you can keep your commitments.

Love--Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment