Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Summer of (Self) Love

Photo Credit,  Joni Mitchell, For the Roses
I am not sure how many of my readers were around to experience the real Summer of Love. As a child in the late 60s I remember it, however, I certainly did not have any of the awareness of a teenager or young adult deeply moved by that moment in history. I think this photo of Joni Mitchell symbolizes what I imagine personal physical freedom to be; what I imagine self-love to be in photo expression--a complete relaxation of self, unadorned, free, naked--feeling at home in one's body and soul and in harmony with one's surroundings. At its best the Summer of Love seems to have been a time of love consciousness. The concept is interesting to me as I think about what I would like the rest of this summer to be for me.

When I look at this picture of Joni Mitchell I can imagine what it would be like to be transported. On a rock experiencing the spray of the Pacific ocean and the heat of the sun immersed in a private and personal joy. I see someone who feels well and serene. Health is directly related to how we feel emotionally. Stress or sadness, emotional turmoil, or even negativity play a part in overall health. Why this is seems fairly simple when you think about it. Emotional pain is exhausting--whether it's the pain brought on by loss or just daily and unrelenting stress. Emotional pain can be about how we feel about ourselves. People live lives that are out of sync with their values. People often don't see themselves as worthy; they see themselves as flawed instead of as children of God. There are many reasons we can get stuck in emotional pain. Once we are stuck it seems like physical issues follow.

So, how to deal with this? The logical and easy answer is get over the pain, get over the exhaustion, move forward into a good attitude and healthy habits.  For people in pain or experiencing stress that seems like a huge mouthful. Like someone saying, "Hey, just change your whole life and you will be able to get it together. Oh, and do it now. Oh, and I have no idea how. Gotta go."

But any task can be completed by simply breaking it into doable pieces. By making it underwhelming and manageable. When things are manageable they seem less stressful, when stress is reduced happiness increases. It's just a matter of giving ourselves the same rational and calm help we would give our child or a cherished friend. How do we treat ourselves with love while at the same time nudge ourselves into a workable, reasonable plan?

To metaphorically drop one's burdens of ill health and emotional baggage and stand before the ocean naked on a rock. This summer is about getting naked on that rock. (Yes, I am laughing, but it does have value.) How do we get to be our best selves, our healthiest selves, and how do we do it this summer? I am excited to see how. I am open to the new experience. Willingness is the first step.

Enjoy a Joni classic and have an amazing, sun drenched day--and a summer that makes you remember the peace of the Pacific Ocean and the paradise of California.

Love--
Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment