Saturday, February 15, 2014

Paleo--In the Beginning...


Well, I made it through the first day. I tossed out everything in my refrigerator, and because I can't stand to throw away good food, I have given anything I don't choose to eat to someone who will enjoy it. It was strange to see huge bags of trash coming out of my fridge, but maybe it's symbolic--this process is one of cleansing. Eating clean, starting over--and in a sense, resetting my body. A reboot of sorts. If you are reading The Beauty and the Blog for the first time--welcome! Please check back often to see my updates about the 90-Day-Challenge. Also, please join my on Twitter (BeautyNBlog)  or TEAM GRACE on Facebook, and feel free to follow this blog too for instant updates when I post.


Yesterday I did a lot of research for Paleo sites online and they really run the gamut--from people who are trying to improve their health, or dealing with their children's auto-immune diseases, or dealing with their own ill health or diabetes, or like me, trying to get healthy which also requires a large weight loss.


Paleo, in short, is eating like a cave person. The theory is the more natural the better. So, if you see a huge list of ingredients that you don't recognize, don't eat it. If you can imagine yourself dressed like someone from the Flintstones gathering this food, or spearing it if you are more like Bam Bam, then, that is Paleo.  A no brainer is looking at it like this:


Eat:
Vegetables
Fruits
Lean meats
Fish
Good oils (Olive, coconut, avocados)
Nuts and seeds
Don't eat sugar, dairy, gluten


I will include resources for you to read more every day, both here and on TEAM GRACE.


So, Day One Menu highlights included:
Lunch
An organic salsa and avocado omelet, served with baby carrots.
Snack
Dried banana slices from Trader Joes. Amazingly sweet, tasted like candy and low calorie.
Dinner
Grass Fed Beef with sautéed organic mushrooms
Organic spinach salad with tomatoes and avocado, olive oil, fresh garlic, and balsamic vinegar dressing
Cantaloupe and berries

Day Two Menu highlights:
Breakfast
A premeasured 170 calorie serving of raw almonds
1 cup coffee (yes, I am still using coffee, and may for the whole time, but I am thinking about this. I am a coffee addict and cutting down is a process!)
Lunch (Really more like brunch today.)
Organic spinach, grass fed beef and egg scramble
Fruit
Dinner
Swai
Sweet potato
Zucchini
a very small piece of 85% dark chocolate (people on Paleo generally allow this, and heck, it's Valentine's Day!


Water is vital. I am also almost immediately noticing that everything is tasting more intense. I feel like I am getting food and I am not terribly hungry. One nice thing is you can really have as much as you want on Paleo, the only thing you truly need to limit are nuts and seed and oils--while they should definitely still be enjoyed in moderation.


Check back later for my emotional check in--Getting Support.


PS Check out these sites for information on Paleo: http://www.paleoforlife.org/html/intro and http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/


Love-
Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment