Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day One-- A Long Day's Journey Into Night

Sometimes it takes a long time to get where you are going. That's a metaphor for my life on many levels, especially yesterday. I arrived at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport at about noon. About 5 PM I was on a plane to Camp Chad. Well, actually I was on a plane to Denver which had been delayed because of weather. It hailed in Denver yesterday for those of you not glued to the Weather Channel.

After waiting in the airport for hours I started out my sojourn into better health with a hot dog. It was the only choice and I stood up to eat it. However, in spite of the delay the airport seemed to be full of happy, even jovial people all going somewhere. Nothing like going somewhere to lift your spirits.

So getting on my Southwest flight I happened to sit by some great people--a man and his son who were coming from his sister's dog rescue ranch in the high desert in California. We laughed, we danced, we schmoozed--basically they were good people. The man was even gracious enough to put my enormous backpack stuffed to the brim with all my junk under  the seat in front of his feet. I am always amazed and gratified at the kindness of strangers. (But the guy at the pharmacy today took a point away from the Karmic flow of goodness to sort of equal things out.) Anyway, off we went to Denver where we landed to get rid of almost everyone and get a whole new flock of everyones to take off again. I was one of the three people going all the way through.

The next guy was a snorer. I started the flight by glaring at him at intervals and then found I could tune him out. Also I am not sure that it's good for my own psyche to glare at someone from Denver to Florida. So, I let it be courtesy of John Lennon and Buddha. I congratulated myself on my Zen and poured Bailey's into my coffee to prove the point. At two o'clock in the morning we finally docked in Jacksonville to deplane. My adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment